Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Toronto One of a Kind Christmas Show and Sale is on now until December 5th.   With 800 artisans, it’s a great venue to shop for yourself or for those on your Christmas list.  It’s almost twice as big as the Spring show so you will be sure to find something that catches your attention.

A few of my favourite things:
DSC01353

Skart screen prints whimsical images onto wood blocks – perfect for a child’s bedroom or playroom.  Love the owls!  P.S. They have a $3 off coupon for the show on their site.

 Owl Pillow

Speaking of owls,  how adorable are these owl pillows by Hilary Cosgrove?   (photo taken from her Etsy site.)

DSC01356

I bought some  swanky earrings from Calgary-based metalsmith Gillian Hillerud.

 DSC01355

Love these pillows from Rock my Soul.

DSC01361

Love the use of colour and the detail in Tammy Shane’s paintings.

DSC01365

Photographer Sarah Tacoma applies paint and resin to her photographs.  I’m loving this window and door series – these small pieces are a great way to start your art collection.

DSC01360rev

Love the linen tea towels and organic cotton yoga mat totes (I bought the green dragonfly one!) from Rain Goose Textiles.

I remember when III, a 5x5 limited edition photograph

C is for..... a 5x5 print

I love, love, love the work of photographer Charlene Serdan. I bought the print of the ferris wheel and the cupcake photograph on a wood block for my daughter’s playroom art wall.  She is only 8 years old but has a real appreciation for art and couldn’t wait to hang them up!

DSC01381rev

Sculpted Light makes organic lights and lanterns from handmade paper which is made from plant materials gathered from her garden and her neighbourhood park.  Now that’s eco-friendly!

DSC01371rev

No, I’m not usually a fan of animal print anything but these zebra ceramic pieces from Montreal-based Catherine Auriol are eye-catching and unique.




DSC01373rev




I loved Erin Vincent’s art when I spied it at the Artist Project earlier this year.  I would be quite happy owning  the “settee” or the “ball jar” paintings (honey, are you reading this?)

DSC01376

My friend Lisa checking out the headbands, hats and mitts from This is J.  I would love to own every single one of their headbands - so pretty!

DSC01379

It’s becoming more difficult to find locally made clothing.  Not only is the children’s clothing from Redfish Kids made in Canada but your little one will be oh so fashion forward.

DSC01380

Love these aprons from Domistyle which come in adult and children’s sizes. I bought one a couple of years ago as a gift for my daughter’s friend.  All of the designs feature hand drawn original artwork that is silk screened onto the fabric.

DSC01386rev

Besides the items mentioned above, I also purchased lavender shortbread from the Coach House Shortbread Company (great hostess gift) and handmade glycerin soap from Demo (great stocking stuffers.)  Lisa, you were right – the shortbread never made it as a hostess gift, they were gone in a few hours of bringing them home!

If you have some time this week or weekend, you must visit the show.  Let me know what your favourite finds or purchases were.

If you can’t make it to the show or live out of town, be sure to check out the websites and etsy shops of the artisans.  Supporting home-grown talent and owning one of a kind pieces is an opportunity not to be missed!

0 comments:

Post a Comment