Thursday, October 27, 2011

I am so happy to introduce a  gorgeous line of eco-friendly textiles for the home created by Chanee of {me}longings studio. I first met Charlotte, North Carolina based Chanee at the Nate Show taping in September, 2010.   That’s her on the right with her Canadian friends. (sorry to bore you with this photo again but it’s the only one I had of Chanee. )

image

She is the founder, creative director, designer and artisan of the studio.

image

Today is the official launch of the sale of her latest collection of pillow covers through her Etsy shop.  She launched a collection of pillow covers and napkins last Spring.  This new collection of hand blocked prints in autumn tones of gold and terra cotta are unique and beautiful.

image

Each piece is one of a kind, machine washable and made from sustainably grown fabrics including hemp and organic cotton.  The printed pillow covers are available in 100% hemp linen  and 100% hemp canvas. Accent pillow covers are available in a hemp/silk blend. Her tea towels are hemp/organic cotton.  No icky polyester or synthetic blends!

image

image

I was so interested in her creative process and plans for the business so I asked her a few questions.

image

What was the impetus for you starting your business?

I started {me}longings studio in March 2011 because I wanted eco-friendly homewares with the patterns and colors I liked most. And since my design crushes change often, handprinting my own designs seemed like a fine way to decorate my home. The eco-friendly part is super important to me. The market doesn't offer many washable eco-friendly options in the patterns, sizes and colors I wanted for my home - it's really about what I like and sharing it with everyone. I spent weeks researching fabric and ink sources before I even started coming up with designs because I wanted to make my design process and my final product environmentally sustainable, healthy and non-toxic.

image

Are you a one person shop? 

Yes, end-to-end! I have a hand {well, both hands} in each step in my design process. I draw my designs, carve them into lino blocks and stencils, hand paint my screens, screen or block print by hand, sew, take product photo shoots and finally, I tackle the brand and marketing. I've been sewing since high school, but my mom, who I named one of my designs after {Phyllis Ann}, taught me how to sew my pieces with quality finishes for a higher-end yet durable product. It's all a very, very, very slow process that I cherish when I hold the final product.

image

 

What are your plans for your shop? 

I keep pushing myself artistically keep up with all the design ideas swirling around in my head. I created my spring and summer collection with block prints and stencils, but for the autumn collection, I taught myself how to screen print with a lot of trial and error.  My designs are becoming more intricate, which makes hand painting my screens a challenge. I've already started working on new designs for a winter dinner napkin collection. The collection will have a more ethnic feel inspired by my wedding in India {nearly 4 years ago}, and will be printed on a beautiful 5 oz. hemp linen in white and ivory. I'll introduce new colors like deep teal and copper along side the silver and gold metallics.  For the next year, I plan to keep {me}longings studio local {where ever I live} and fairly small scale with limited edition prints, and custom orders.

image

Thank you Chanee for sharing your work!  The fabrics are beautiful and practical at the same time.  I love that they are made with kindness to the planet and a concern for our health.

I was joking with Chanee that I think she may have to ramp up and hire additional staff to keep up with all the orders she will have.  And sure enough, today she tweeted that  West Elm invited her Etsy shop to sell her items at their Holiday pop-up shop on December 1!  How exciting for her.  Told you so Chanee :)

What do you think?  Isn’t Chanee creative and talented?  Aren’t they pretty? Love them all but I think the Moroccan inspired Mimi is my favourite.

0 comments:

Post a Comment