Monday, April 4, 2011

I’m always happy to attend the One of a Kind Show (read my earlier posts here and here) and discover new artisans and their wares.  This year, I took my almost-9 year old daughter as I had promised her I would take her the next time I went.  It was her first time there and she was mesmerized by the sparkling jewellery and yummy bath soaps and moisturizers.  At the end of the night, she had about 20 different scents on her!

The Spring show is about half the size of the  Christmas show with less furniture and home decor products and more clothing, jewellery and fashion accessories.

A few of my favourite things:

DSC01890rev

Pas a Papier was one of those booths that called you in to take a closer look.  New to the show this year, Marie Jose creates home accessories such as mirrors, bowls and lighting from cardboard.  Very green and very cool.

picnik1

Noelle Hamlyn is a fibre artist creating the most beautiful art from embroidered paper.  She also creates purses, or “pocket books”  from vintage books with belts as the handles.

DSC01892

These ottomans from Foutu Tissu are made using their screen printed fabrics, buckwheat foam and recycled legs.  Retro cool.

 DSC01893

C Comme ca uses felt made of merino wool or recycled fibres to create these handmade protective sleeves for laptops, iPhones, iPads etc.  Felt is sustainable, durable and water resistant.


piknik2

Tissage Magely Weaving, based in Drummond, New Brunswick  creates beautiful handwoven blankets, placemats and tea towels.  Wished they had an online store as I am kicking myself for not purchasing one of their blankets.

dale mark

Dale Mark, a potter from Burlington (with no website yet), creates these beautiful ceramic bowls, vases and cups and quite reasonably priced I might add.  I was particularly drawn to the aqua ones and purchased a few bowls which he is wrapping up for me in this photo.  One can never have enough bowls – I use them not just for food, but to hold keys, jewellery, even business cards.  They also make great hostess gifts or teacher’s gift. At the last Spring show, I purchased these bowls which appeared in this post

So what else did I buy?  Gluten free spring rolls – I can’t get enough of these and have to agree with their slogan “The best spring rolls on the planet.”   Their business has taken off since they debuted their products at my local farmer’s market seven years ago.  I could eat these for breakfast, lunch and dinner and be quite happy!  I always have to buy these shortbread cookies and my daughter fell in love with this cute purse with an owl face  made from recycled fabrics.

Did you go to the show?  What did you love?

0 comments:

Post a Comment