Tuesday, April 26, 2011

In an earlier post, I mentioned that Cobi Ladner, former Editor of Canadian House and Home, has introduced a line of fabrics, furniture and accessories.  Over two years in the making, cobistyle is colourful, graphic, fun and sure to fill a void in the marketplace. 

I had a chance to interview Cobi recently at a preview held at Invu Drapery Co.  Not only is she talented but approachable and witty too! 

image

 I’m loving all of the colour in your new collection.  What was the impetus behind launching it?  

In my work, I'm lucky to be able to talk with homeowners from across the country and it wasn't hard to figure out that people were being beiged to death!  Colour has been ignored for a good 10 years and it just feels right to bring it back and enjoy the life it instantly brings to our homes.  I'm glad cobistyle is now here to provide an option to neutrals and of course to play off of the great neutrals we've all invested in!


How did the collaboration between cobistyle and inVU Drapery Co. come about?

With the look I had developed for cobistyle,  I knew textiles were going to play a key role in expressing the line beautifully, and so I looked for a company that would understand my vision and turn it into a drapery program that I would feel proud to have in my own home.  inVU Drapery Co. was the perfect fit!  It's been an amazing process to see my ideas turn into reality and I honestly couldn't be happier with the end result.


What’s next for the collection?

Well I'll let you in on a little secret - I'm excited to tell you that there will be a cobistyle lighting line launching in 2012 and it's going to be very pretty and unique.  There are lots of other great things in the cooker as well, but that's the next one that's 'for sure'.

image

Who inspires you?

Lots of people inspire me but in my business life, I find women (they seem to be the best at this) who represent a lifestyle or an 'approach to life at home' to be very inspirational.  People like Kate Spade, Amy Butler, Rachel Ashwell and yes, Martha.


How would you describe your own decorating style?

I find that really hard to do - which is crazy because it's a part of me - but it's so darned hard to articulate.  I guess it's eclectic.  It's quite traditional but not in a boring way - in kind of a gutsy way.  I like to think it's pretty.  That's a word that the design community has been afraid to use for a long time and I want to be the cheerleader for 'pretty' and help bring it back into vogue! 


What is the most common mistake people make when decorating?

Going safe.  Following formula.  Trying to be something they're not.  You'll never love your home if you don't work from your gut  - what's your favourite colour?  what's your favourite flower?  Who's yo' mama?  Just kidding...but you know what I mean.  It's got to reflect you or you'll never connect with it on an emotional level and that's what decorating is.  It's a regular person's moment to be an artist and create the sets for their own life.


What does every room need?

Something old.

What are three simple changes someone can make to their home right now for maximum impact?

1)  Add colour  2)  Add something old or with personal meaning to you  3) Clean up some clutter!

 

cobiE

 

cobiF

 

cobiC

 

cobiA

I totally agree with Cobi that we need to bring colour and pretty back!  There’s a lot to love about the collection and I’m particularly smitten with the gorgeous fabrics and the stylish accessories.  You can view the entire collection online here and visit Invu or other retailer in person.

(Footnote:  Cobi’s Editor’s column in the April, 2007 H&H was titled “Decor Happy.”  It describes my design philosophy and I thought it would be the perfect moniker for a blog. I also think it suits this collection to a tee as well!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment