Friday, June 25, 2010

Seems I’m always looking for ways to create budget-friendly art in my home as well as clients.  I think art brings life and soul into a home and creating it yourself is more meaningful than going to a retailer and buying a mass produced print.

When I saw these beautiful DIY works of art in the August 2010 issue of Style at Home (digital issue), I had to share.  There really are no excuses for bare walls!

The first image is the main living space of a cottage in BC decorated by Colleen Sawatsky and styled by Heather Cameron.   Although the art over the sofa looks like a painting, it is actually fabric stretched over an artist’s frame.   The cushion covers made from vintage tablecloths add to the charm of the room.  Inexpensive, simple and beautiful – have to love that.

styleatHaug10

Canadian online retailer Tonic Living sells fabrics at a very reasonable price.   These are just a few “retro florals” from their site which would look great as art in a main living space or bedroom.

tonicliving3  tonicliving tonicliving4 tonicliving5

Hands up if you can guess the medium used for this trio of framed prettiness.  If you said dye (as in fabric dye), you would be correct.  Instructions are given in the magazine and although I haven’t tried it, I would say it seems fairly simple to do.   Frames are from Ikea, of course!

styleatH1aug10

What do you think?  Would you try either of these affordable art projects  in your home?

If you need decorating help, please contact me at vanessa@vanessafrancis.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment