Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Did you catch episode 6 of Sarah 101 that aired tonight on HGTV?  She took two lacklustre, small rooms and turned them into fun, playful spaces for three lucky sisters. A coral and mustard nursery and a blue, yellow and green bedroom for the two older girls.
image

image
 image
Here’s what I loved about this episode and what we learned:
  • tea towels from Anthropologie were used as the jumping off point for the colour scheme for both bedrooms. You can see this one made into a pillow on the bed above. Some tea towels even have a pom pom detail which would add to the cuteness factor if used for pillows.
  • the mix of fabrics and pattern – I’m guessing that there are a dozen fabrics used in each room. Don’t be afraid to mix florals, geometrics and large and small prints – they don’t have to match exactly.
  • the 100% wool striped broadloom which has all the colours used in both rooms
  • placing the beds end to end and building the platform for under $200 was genius
  • the vintage side tables,a steal at $65 for the pair, painted a robin’s egg blue with gorgeous handles from Anthropologie
  • the scroll ceiling fixture (in the blue and green room) was beautiful and unique
And here’s what I wondered about:


  • the vintage dresser in the nursery could have used a coat of paint and new knobs.  I thought it stood out like a sore thumb in a room full of fresh colour. (I’m probably biased because I had a very similar dresser growing up and I’m guessing I didn’t like it!)




  • I also wondered if the paint that was sprayed on the crib was no VOC and safe for a baby.
    At the end of the show, Tommy mentioned that he had an antler chandelier and herringbone wallpaper in his childhood bedroom; Sarah had a flokati rug and crochet details stapled to her bed.  It’s no wonder that they both have great style and taste.

    I think this was my favourite episode yet with useful advice for homeowners on how paint and fabric can transform a room.  You can watch the video here and see the shopping guide here.




  • What did you think of the show?

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment