Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Remember way back when I wrote this post about my daughter’s bedroom? And this one on searching for a bedside table? Well, we did things in stages and I am happy to share a sneak peek with you. There’s still a few things to do yet! (Definitely a case of the shoemaker’s daughter.)

But first, I spent a few hours this weekend spiffing up her dresser. It was her change table/dresser when she was a baby but is still in great shape.

dresserbefore

So what colour to paint? Off white to match her side table? Black because it always looks crisp? Or a fun colour taken from her headboard fabric (below)?  Yes, M agreed that the red would be a good choice.

JELLYBEAN_716

DSC01795rev

I used Beauti-tone’s  Cranberry,  part of the Style at Home colour collection.  The paint expert at my local Home Hardware, where Beauti-tone is sold exclusively, suggested I use the Trim and Door paint which gives a finish similar to semi-gloss.

That’s her artwork and accessories are from Anthropologie, West Elm and Ikea.

Tips for Painting Pine Furniture Red


1) Prime with a Primer/Sealer like Zinsser BIN as it will seal the knots.

2) Prime again with a primer specifically made for red paints.  I already had some Ralph Lauren primer on hand so I used that.

DSC01796

3) I painted three coats of the Cranberry paint and may do another one still.  After two coats, it was still looking more like a hot pink than red.

And since you have all been so patient with me, here is a sneak peek at her room so far.  But first, the Before:

DSC04673rv

I originally said I was going to keep her bed but it felt really juvenile so I sold it to my daughter’s friend who loves it!

DSC01792rev

M loves the headboard that I designed, the West Elm bedding (sheets and quilt) and the peace sign pillow by Rock my Soul that I won.  On another post and when everything is done,  I will reveal all of the sources.

I’m linking up here.

What do you think?

Do you require decorating help?  Contact me at vanessa@vanessafrancis.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment