Monday, January 10, 2011

I play a little game whenever I read a decor magazine.  It’s called What House Could I Live in?  Have you ever played?  The object of the game is to discover what home in the magazine is closest to your decorating style. 
Knowing what your decorating preferences are is the first step to having a home that makes you happy.  The “game” involves looking at images and figuring out what is it about the image that speaks to you and what can you do without.
My decorating tastes are diverse.  I love a home in all shades of white just as much as I love  a home with colour and pattern. I like just enough accessories to make things interesting without being cluttered.   I know what I love and what makes me cringe – and I think if you have been reading for awhile, you know that too! 
Usually decor magazines feature 3-5 homes in each issue.  The recent issue of Lonny features five homes, each having a different vibe.  The one that is closest to my personal style was designed by Hillary Thomas for Marlien Rentmeester, fashion editor for Lucky Magazine.  Granted, some of the details and furniture  in the rooms were not my style but overall and out of the 5 homes, this one was hands down the closest to my personal style. 
Thomas describes the home as having a “bohemian vibe with an East Coast, preppy flair.”  They found 70% of the home’s furniture from thrift shops  along the Dixie Highway in West Palm Beach.
I have listed a  few reasons why I love this home and have linked to some previous posts to illustrate my point.  (This exercise also identified areas which I haven’t blogged about previously but need to!)
1) White painted furniture + wainscoting + bold area rug:
image

2) Ottomans + art walls:
image

3) White kitchens + chalkboards:
image
4) Children’s art + grass cloth:  this reminds me of a playroom in the last issue of Lonny.
image
5)  Vintage paintings of the sea: this reminds me of  “My Style in One Picture.”
image
6) Well-styled bookcases (this reminds me that I have to find interesting bookcases like this to house my out-of-control magazine collection):
image
7) White bedding + beautiful fabric.  Yes, that is leopard broadloom which wouldn’t be my first choice but it does add some interest.
image
8) Upholstered Headboards:
image
9) Turquoise + beadboard (notice the absence of a mirror):
image
10) Built-in furniture + interesting chair + beautiful fabric:
image
So, what did you think of this house?  Did it speak to you or was there another home in Lonny that resonated with you more? 
If you need help figuring out what your decorating style is, please contact me at vanessa@vanessafrancis.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment