Tuesday, December 6, 2011




Today, I’m taking part in Olioboard’s  Holiday Decor Moodboard Challenge.  Along with five other bloggers, I was asked to create a board showing a favoured holiday decorating scheme. I have always been a fan of decorating with red and white - simple, classic and oh, so festive. You can mix in some gold and bronze to warm it up like I have done here.

OB-Holiday Moodboard

First, holiday decorating for me wouldn’t be complete without a real tree – a fraser fir to be exact, a simple wreath and maybe some boxwood in small vases (like I have shown on the mantel.)   I love the idea of an unadorned wreath tied with a red and white striped ribbon - simple and pretty.

I sourced most of the items from West Elm, Ikea, Crate and Barrel and Pottery Barn – so they are all readily available.

The tree is decorated in red, white and gold/bronze.  The sparkly ornaments contrast well with the more home spun ornaments like the felt balls.

Switch out your customary sofa cushions for some festive red and gold velvet ones, include throws in red or white and voila, instant update.

If you didn’t want to purchase a table runner, you could easily sew one or two using inexpensive fabric from Ikea (the large swatch of red and white fabric shown).  You don’t even have to know how to sew, you can just iron the edges under!

Remember the white papier-mâché pumpkins I bought at West Elm?  Well, these adorable reindeer are now available.  Other decorating ideas are red and white candy canes in stylish containers and pomegranates (faux or real) in bowls.  I love the idea of a winter scene (print or painting) over the fireplace with the two boxwood containers.

What colour scheme are you going with this year?

If you are popping by from the Olioboard site, welcome! You can see some of my olioboards here.

Be sure to visit the ladies over at Covet Garden tomorrow at 9 a.m. for their take on holiday decorating. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment