Thursday, November 17, 2011

I was all set to write another post and then, as is often the case,  I became distracted and read the December Elle Decor.  I have to admit, I find some of the homes in ED are just a bit over the top (can I say palatial) with too much pattern and colour and “stuff” for my liking.  Although there are elements in each room that I love, I find that when put together, some spaces are a bit too chaotic for my eyes. 

So when I came across Hilary Swank’s New York apartment in their recent issue, it was like a breath of fresh air.  Calm colours, beautiful art and objets and classic furniture ensure her 1400 sq ft apartment is comfortable and stylish.  The ED writer calls her home “spare,” I call it perfect.  (Hilary’s primary residence is a villa in California.)

image

 

image

Weathered barn wood from a Pennsylvania farm add character to the new build.

image

 

image

Of the photograph of a couple dancing in 1963 Mali, Hilary says, “They seem so innocent and happy.”

image

 

image

 

image

 

image

Hilary worked with designer Mark Zeff.  I thought it funny when she said “I’ve worked with people who roll their eyes when you make a suggestion. Mark doesn’t do that.” 

 

image

I just love Hilary – her rags to riches story (as a child, she lived in a trailer park but had big dreams for herself) and her incredible talent (she has won two Academy Awards for Best Actress.)  Can’t wait for her new movie, New Year’s Eve to come out on December 9.

(Oh, and I love that Elle Decor posts full articles and images from their current issue.  Not every magazine does that. You can read it here.)

If you need decorating help, please contact me at decorhappy(at)gmail(dot)com.  I would love to help you out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment