Monday, February 4, 2013

Happy Monday! Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

Amongst client projects, I’m trying to work on a couple (or three) rooms in my home this year.  Besides my bedroom, the family room is what’s commanding my immediate attention. I haven’t shown the entire room on the blog except for the fireplace wall which is across from the sofa. (The mantel has changed about six times since that post and the wall colour has changed as well!)

Last year, my blue velvet sofa from Decor Rest arrived but I haven’t shown it yet because it is just calling for a beautiful piece of art above it. (I have had a mirror above it and 3 large photographs.) If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen the sofa with my painter’s tape above to see what size painting would work best.

I would love to do another art wall over the sofa like in my living room because I love the personality and meaning it brings to a room. The photo below was snapped during a shoot early last year.


Photography: K West Images

Sometimes when decorating it takes awhile for you to figure out what a room needs and what you really love. And for me it is a large scale painting.

I had pinned this photo awhile ago and to say I am in love with this room would be a huge understatement.

That painting! Katie Leede & Company
via Pinterest. Room design by Katie Leede.

What makes this room in my mind is the large scale painting. Don’t you think? I think it’s the prettiest painting I have ever seen. I tried to see if the artist’s name was mentioned on Houzz but no luck. (I sent an email to Katie’s company but haven’t heard back as of yet. If I do, I will be sure to update the post with the artist’s name. It might even be Katie herself!)

The painting, slip covered sofa, blue textiles and floor lamp are the elements in the room that I love.

(PS I met Katie at the Elle Decor Showhouse in NYC last year and we had a lovely chat about her textiles (she has her own line) which were used in the room she designed. Very pretty!) 

So, I have commissioned Andrada to create a 48x48 painting for over the sofa.  Of course it won’t/can’t look like the painting above but it provides inspiration as to the feel I hope to achieve. I know I sound like a broken record but original art can transform any space and it doesn’t have to cost thousands of dollars. Andrada did this painting for my dining room and this painting for a client.
Stay tuned for the reveal in a month or so. I'm also looking for some other pieces for the room and contemplating an Ikea hack of sorts. 

Have you been inspired by an image lately? If so, please share in the comments. I’m hoping to ask some of my favourite bloggers to share a room image that has inspired them and how they incorporated it into their space.
Have a happy week!

If you need design advice, please contact me at vanessa(at)vanessafrancis.com to discuss your project.

0 comments:

Post a Comment