Monday, February 8, 2010

One of the projects I’m working on around my house this year is my daughter’s bedroom. At almost 8, she has become interested in design and thinks I have a really cool job (I do!) She has been talking about “designing” her room for the last few months and when I came home one day to find she had taped cardboard “shelves” to her walls, I thought it was time to get started.

The costly part of the makeover will be replacing the builder installed broadloom with hardwood. It’s in great condition so I’m sure I can freecycle it for use in someone’s basement. Because she has developed allergies, new hardwood will not only look gorgeous but be better for her health. I am considering this 4 - 1/4” maple in a medium brown stain from Preverco:

hardwood

It has been 5 years since we painted her room Benjamin Moore’s Vellum (CC-200) and although I love this sunny colour, it’s time for a change. Of course she wants pink for her walls (what girl doesn’t?), but she is thinking of this:

pinkMS

or this:

or this:

pinkviasensationalcolour

While I am thinking of a paint colour more like this:

sarastory

I love the peony walls in the Eddie Ross designed room from Martha Stewart Living in the first photo but I’m thinking we keep it a little more subdued and ethereal for her bedroom. I think I have convinced her that a lighter, neutral pink on the walls and a more vibrant pink in the bedding and accessories is the way to go.

Speaking of Martha, I have always loved the subtle pink that was predominant in her guest cottage in Maine. See the images here.

pinkMS2

The grey wicker against the soft pink is beautiful.

pinkHB

We are keeping her bed and dresser but she wants a small desk/vanity. Even though her room is not small at 17’ x 14’, the only location to place it because of her dresser and the window configuration, is beside her bed like in this image. I think this desk is so cute and I would love to find something similar.

(images: 1 – Martha Stewart; 2 – Country Living 3 – via Sensational colour; 4 – Sara Story; 5 – Martha Stewart; 6 – House Beautiful)

I have to do sample boards of a few paint colours but I’m thinking of these:

BMfondant

Benjamin Moore Fondant AF-255 (looks a bit peachy here but it really isn’t.)

OR:

SW6049

Sherwin Williams SW6049 Gorgeous White

I am loving these fabrics (for a duvet cover) from Clarke and Clarke – just enough pink to make both of us happy:

C&Chibiscus C&Cjarrinha

Or maybe something like this pretty floral with the stripe as an accent:

C&CMioC&Cmasami

Though I think these graphic fabrics from Kravet will get her vote:

kravetglance417 kravetglide917

dominoviafrolicAmanda Peet

This image from Domino of Amanda Peet’s home was recently posted here. I was reminded of how much I love it, especially the movie poster from the 60’s. Maybe I will try and find something graphic and fun for the wall beside her bed.

H&G2

Love this fresh, fun room from House and Garden. The chair reminds me of one I spied at the Canadian Home Furnishings Market and will work well with her desk.

Blush pink glass lamp from Ikea:

ikealight

Some cute accessories like these birds from West Elm:

westelmbirds

Or this laughing buddha – doesn’t it make you, well, laugh?

buddhaurbanbarn

Now I just have to pitch this to my “client” – wish me luck! (Stay tuned for the reveal in the months ahead.)

If you are looking for design help with a child’s room or any room, please email me at vanessa@vanessafrancis.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment